Does your pup bark unnecessarily a lot? Do you want some help with your pup’s excessive barking?
Then the most humane solution that I can think of is using citronella spray bark collars!
They are effective, don’t hurt your furry buddy, and help in dealing with their nuisance barking.
What more do you want?
Many brands offer citronella bark collars. They come with different features, pros, and cons.
So, which is the best citronella bark collar in the market? Which one will suit your doggo the most?
To help you find answers to these questions, I have come up with a list of the best citronella spray bark collars with their reviews. All you need is to read the reviews and choose the one you think will fit your canine buddy the most.
Before I tell you all about the best citronella bark collars, let me first give you a brief about them and how they work.
|Downtown Pet Citronella Bark Collar||• Citronella refills|
• Adjustable collar
|PetSafe Spray Bark Dog Collar||• Rechargeable battery|
• Two spray cartridges
• For 8lb dogs and above
|PetSafe Elite Little Dog Spray Bark Collar||• 300-400 sprays per can|
• 30-40 sprays per refill
• Vibration sensors
|WWVVPET Citronella Dog Training Collar||• Three training modes|
• Can train two dogs
• Rechargeable lithium-ion battery
|Sumao No Bark Dog Collar||• Waterproof|
• For dogs between 8 lbs and 120 lbs
|Connete Dog Collar||• Train two dogs|
• Three training modes
• Three spray levels
|Queenmew Dog Bark Collar||• LED light|
• Refill port
• Multiple training modes
How Does a Citronella Bark Collar Work?
Citronella dog collar devices are used to deal with your dog’s excessive barking issue. In these collars, there remain sprays with citronella essential oil. When your dog barks a lot, the collar sprays citronella on your dog’s face. This irritates your dog’s nose mildly.
The device can sense when your dog is barking and exactly when it sprays. The citronella oil is somewhat unpleasant to dogs.
So, the main idea behind this citronella spray bark collar is to control your canine buddy’s behavioral problem, such as excessive barking. Now, when your doggo gets sprayed repeatedly when they bark, they will gradually get the idea that it will get sprayed if they bark. This, in turn, helps in lessening their unnecessary barking.
Best Citronella Spray Bark Collars Reviews
Now, you have a clear idea about how the citronella spray bark collars work. So, let me tell you all about the best citronella bark collars available in the market. Keep reading!
#1. Downtown Pet Citronella Bark Collar
The Downtown Pet Citronella Bark Collar is on the top of my list of the best citronella bark collars.
Like it already?
This dog collar is very effective when it comes to reducing your pup’s excessive barking behavior.
Did I tell you that you will get a spray device with this collar?
There is citronella in that spray. The device can sense your pup’s barking. Whenever your doggo barks, they will get sprayed with it. This works very fast. With time, they will understand that they will get sprayed if they bark. And their barking will lessen.
Did you know that you can get a full kit with this product?
The kit includes a collar, citronella spray refill, training manual, battery, and spray device.
Got more reasons to like it?
What I like the most about this citronella dog collar is, you can adjust it according to your four-legged friend’s neck.
As this collar is extremely safe for your doggo, you don’t need to worry about the safety of your pup.
Are you looking for a citronella spray bark collar that can give your fast results?
The Downtown Pet Citronella Bark Collar can be the one!
This dog collar is perfect for dogs that weigh 8 lbs and more.
- To insert the battery, you don’t need to be an expert. It is effortless.
- The microphone in it helps in detecting the bark with ease.
- It comes with a complete kit including a collar, citronella spray refill, training manual, battery, and spray device.
- It is a no-beep and no-shock collar.
- It is effective, safe, and humane.
- The results are fast.
- It appeals to the four senses like taste, sight, sound, and smell.
- You get a 60-day manufacturer warranty with it.
- The customer service is very active.
- It doesn’t stress out your doggo or make them anxious.
- You get to adjust the collar according to your pup’s needs.
- It doesn’t have a long life
#2. PetSafe Spray Bark Dog Collar
Are you looking for a premium dog collar for your favorite four-legged buddy?
How about giving the PetSafe Spray Bark Dog Collar a shot?
When your dog barks excessively, it sprays gentle bursts of citronella. This distracts your doggo and stops them from barking excessively.
Did you know that the PetSafe Spray Bark Dog Collar comes with a unique bark-sensing technology?
Well, this technology doesn’t get affected by outside noises such as the barking of other dogs.
Isn’t it cool?
This means, even if other dogs bark in the neighborhood, the device will not spray citronella on your pup’s face. I really like this feature.
Unlike other citronella spray bark collars, the PetSafe Spray Bark Dog Collar comes with two spray refill cartridges. One of them is unscented, and the other contains citronella. So you get to use both to see which works best for your doggo.
You get a rechargeable battery with it, which takes just two hours to get charged completely.
And did you know that you can use the battery for up to forty hours?
This collar will fit dogs that weigh 8 lbs and more. And it will be perfect for dogs with neck sizes of up to 27 inches.
Don’t worry about the quality of the product.
The brand PetSafe is there in the market for more than twenty-five years. I have used some of their other dog products too. And none of them has disappointed me.
And not to mention their customer care service, which is undoubtedly great. I had a problem with the installation of the battery. I called on their customer care number and got a quick response.
- Once you recharge the battery, it will stay charged for about forty hours.
- It has two cartridges, each of which can spray about thirty-five times.
- You get to adjust the collar, and it will fit dog necks of up to twenty-seven inches.
- The spray comes with a low spray indicator. So you get to know when it is time to change the cartridge.
- The customer care is fantastic.
- The collar is manufactured by a reputable company that has been in the industry for more than twenty-five years.
- If you want to trigger the spray manually, you will not be able to do that as there is no remote option.
- If you compare the battery life with other citronella bark collars available in the market, it is shorter.
#3. PetSafe Elite Little Dog Spray Bark Collar
Are you a parent of a small dog breed that weighs somewhere between 8 lbs and 55 lbs? Do you want to reduce their excessive barking?
You can try the PetSafe Elite Little Dog Spray Bark Collar, which is great for small dogs.
This is my second best citronella bark collar from the house of PetSafe.
If your doggo barks a lot, you can use this collar that sprays a small burst of citronella to discourage their barking.
Now, with this spray collar, you get the option to use an unscented spray as well. The refills come with the collar only.
It has a patented system that stops false corrections from outside noises. This includes the barking of other dogs too.
Did I tell you that the PetSafe Elite Little Dog Spray Bark Collar is waterproof?
So you don’t have to worry if your doggo wants to play outdoors, as rain and other kinds of water will not affect the effectiveness of this dog collar.
Each can of spray can hold three hundred to four hundred sprays. Isn’t that amazing?
And each refill can spray about thirty to forty times.
Did I tell you that this awesome citronella spray collar is adjustable?
This means you can adjust it to fit up to twenty-two inches of dog neck sizes.
I already told you how amazing the customer service of PetSafe is in the previous point!
If you want a quality product that lasts longer, you can definitely give this dog collar a shot.
- It is waterproof, which means you can use it on your doggo for all kinds of outdoor activities.
- The collar is simple to use. You don’t need any expert advice for that.
- The vibration sensors that it comes with are quite efficient.
- To disrupt excessive barking, it supplies just a gentle mist of spray.
- It is made with safe and eco-friendly technology.
- It has the ability to differentiate between the sounds of your dog and other dogs and other outside noises.
- The quality of this citronella dog collar is excellent.
- It will not fit extra large dogs.
#4. WWVVPET Citronella Dog Training Collar
Are you looking for a manual citronella spray bark collar?
Then the WWVVPET Citronella Dog Training Collar is the one!
It is effective, safe and you can use it only with the remote. It is nowhere near the electric shock collars that can hurt your doggo. This dog collar helps you train your dog and stop their unnecessary barking humanely.
Did you know that the WWVVPET Citronella Dog Training Collar comes with three training modes and two collars?
Well, it has citronella spray plus beep, only beep, and vibration plus beep. I like this a lot.
And you get to train two dogs with just one remote.
Amazing, isn’t it?
And let me tell you one more time. It can be operated only with a remote. As a result, the citronella will not get sprayed automatically. Thus, you can avoid the false sprays, common to some automatic spray designs.
The WWVVPET Citronella Dog Training Collar comes with a long-lasting built-in lithium-ion battery that is rechargeable. For one full charge, it needs just two to three hours. The charge can last for up to eleven days in the case of the collar. And when it comes to the remote, it can stay charged for twenty-seven days.
Did you know that the WWVVPET Citronella Dog Training Collar is slightly waterproof?
This means you can use it on light rainy days or wet grass. However, you cannot use it when it is raining heavily, when your doggo is playing with water, swimming, or soaking in water.
Did I tell you that the remote can range up to one thousand feet?
With the WWVVPET Citronella Dog Training Collar, you also get a remote controller, lanyard, a can of citronella spray, a user manual, and a USB cable.
This collar can fit all dogs that are more than 8 lbs in weight.
Each can is able to spray three to four hundred times. And each refill can be sprayed twenty-five to thirty times.
With this dog collar, you know when the battery is low. There is a red light battery indicator.
- You get a remote controller, lanyard, a can of citronella spray, a user manual, and a USB cable with the collar
- There is a red light battery indicator, allowing you to know when the battery is low
- The remote can range up to one thousand feet
- The built-in rechargeable battery needs just two to three hours for one full charge
- The charge of the collar can last for up to eleven days
- The charge of the remote can stay for twenty-seven days
- It comes with three training modes: citronella spray plus beep, only beep, and vibration plus beep
- It can fit all dogs that are more than 8lbs
- For added flexibility, you get to select between low or high spray settings
- As the design is owner-triggered, it prevents the chances of accidental discharges
- The strap is long-lasting, and you get to adjust it according to your requirement
- It doesn’t work when your dog is alone, as the collar can be controlled only by a remote
- It is not a good choice for dogs below 15 lbs – all because of the collar’s weight
#5. Sumao No Bark Dog Collar
Are you looking for an affordable dog collar that can help you in reducing their excessive barking?
One such collar is the Sumao No Bark Dog Collar!
The most that I like about this citronella bark collar is that it is pocket-friendly but still comes with a number of attractive features.
Did I tell you that this no bark dog collar is non-toxic, doesn’t offer any radiation, doesn’t have any chemical or odor?
And it works great in eliminating your dog’s excessive barking.
Cool, isn’t it?
This is an automatic collar; means it can intelligently discriminate between your pup’s barking and other noises. And then spray citronella automatically to make your doggo stop barking.
No external sound can affect the effectiveness of this anti-bark collar.
The volume of the citronella spray and the receiving sensitivity depends on the extremity of your dog’s barking.
The receiver of this collar comes with a built-in rechargeable lithium battery. So all it needs is just two hours to get fully charged. And the charge can stay up to seven days.
Did I tell you that the Sumao No Bark Dog Collar is waterproof?
This means you can use it in any weather and any circumstances.
Once you refill the spray fully, you can use it about twenty-five to thirty times.
The no-bark collar comes with an adjustable nylon strap. This makes it a perfect fit for almost all dogs that weigh between 8 lbs and 120 lbs.
Also, you get an extra strap with this collar. This allows you to change the look of your pup whenever you want.
Do you know what the best part of the Sumao No Bark Dog Collar is?
Well, if it doesn’t suit your doggo, you become eligible to get a complete refund or replacement!
What more can you ask for?
- You get to choose between high or low spray modes according to your requirement
- You can adjust the levels of spray sensitivity
- As it is waterproof, you can use it on your dog for all their outdoor activities
- Once you recharge the collar fully, it will last for up to one week
- If you are on a budget, this can be a great option for you
- As this is a spray-only collar, it works quietly without making any audible sound
- The collar lasts long
- If it doesn’t suit your pup. You can get a complete refund or ask for a replacement.
- It doesn’t come with citronella spray refills
- It doesn’t produce any vibration. However, this can actually be helpful for some dogs.
#6. Connete Dog Collar
Are you a parent to multiple dogs? Do you want to train them together so they don’t bark excessively?
Have a look at the Connete Dog Collar!
It comes with a button switch, with the help of which you get to control two collars. This means you can train two dogs at the same time.
The Connete Dog Collar is not automatic. However, it comes with a remote – which means no false sprays anymore!
Are you worried about the safety of your canine buddy?
Don’t be. This citronella collar is not only safe but also effective in dealing with your pup’s excessive barking.
Did I tell you that the Connete Dog Collar comes with three spray levels and three training modes?
The three training modes are vibration, beep, and spray. These are meant to train your dogs to differentiate between commands and behave properly. This way, there will be no confusion for them.
The number of sprays can be adjusted according to your preference – once, twice, or thrice. There are buttons for it. However, you cannot adjust the vibration and beep features.
Do you want to train your furry buddy to behave outdoors?
Then you can use the remote that it comes with.
Did I tell you that you can operate the collar with the help of the remote up to 984 feet?
The Connete Dog Collar has a waterproof design. Your doggo can use it for their daily life. That doesn’t mean it is appropriate for bathing or swimming.
However, the remote is not waterproof.
The collar comes with two adjustable straps that are between 8 and 27 inches. This means small, medium, and large dogs can use it.
The good news is that the battery doesn’t run out of charge soon. Once you charge it fully for two to three hours, it will last for about 120 hours.
Did I tell you that there is a LED display on the remote?
You can check the power of the remote, vibration/spray/beep icon, and spray level on it.
Isn’t it awesome?
- It comes with a button switch, with the help of which you get to control two collars. So you get to train two dogs at the same time.
- It comes with two adjustable straps that are between 8 and 27 inches.
- Once you charge the battery fully for two to three hours, it will last for about 120 hours.
- The LED display on the remote allows you to check the power of the remote, vibration/spray/beep icon, and spray level on it.
- You can adjust the number of sprays according to your preference – once, twice, or thrice.
- It has multiple training modes.
- The remote is not waterproof
- You cannot adjust the vibration and beep features
#7. Queenmew Dog Bark Collar
Are you looking for a great quality citronella spray bark collar that is pocket-friendly too?
The Queenmew Dog Bark Collar can be the one!
This affordable collar comes with CE and RoHS approval. This means the materials used in making this collar strictly follow the market standards. It is not only safe but also effective in keeping your pup’s unnecessary barking in check. It doesn’t use any painful shock.
The one thing that I don’t like about this dog collar is that it doesn’t come with citronella spray. You need to buy it separately.
Did you know that the Queenmew Dog Bark Collar comes with three training modes?
The modes are warning beep, vibration, and citronella spray. And each of these modes has two levels of sensitivity adjustment.
It comes with a remote that has a range of 500 feet – great for both indoor and outdoor use.
The Queenmew Dog Bark Collar comes with a low battery indicator in both the transmitter and receiver. It flashes red when the battery is low.
This adjustable bark collar fits all dogs that weigh more than 8 lbs and is more than six months old.
The strap of this citronella collar is up to 25 inches long.
One can is able to spray about 300 to 400 times. And one refill can spray up to 35 times.
- It is pocket-friendly – great for dog owners who are looking for a budget option
- It comes with CE and RoHS approval – which means superb quality
- There are three training modes: warning beep, vibration, and the citronella spray
- Each of these modes has two levels of sensitivity adjustment
- It comes with a remote that has a range of 500 feet – great for both indoor and outdoor use
- It flashes red when the battery is low
- The strap of this citronella collar is up to 25 inches long
- One can equal to 300 to 400 sprays
- It doesn’t come with citronella spray. You need to buy it separately.
How to Choose the Best Citronella Bark Collar for Your Pup?
Now that you know all about the best citronella bark collars available, it’s time that you know how to choose the perfect one for your doggo. So, without further ado, let’s get started!
- Manual or automatic corrections?
Generally, a citronella collar can work in any of the two ways. They either give your pup a spritz when you press a button on the given remote, or they deliver a spray when the device detects a bark.
Both of these methods can be effective in providing training to your doggo. However, they come with different sets of pros and cons.
For example, you go for an automatic citronella spray collar; it will control your pup’s excessive barking, even when you are away. This is one of the main reasons most dog owners go with this kind of collar.
Coming to the manually triggered units, they can work great for nuisance barking and some other problems. For example, you can trigger the citronella collar when you see that your pup is stealing food from your dining table.
- Collar material
Like most flat, traditional collars, many citronella collars are made using webbing material. However, there are others that are made of plastic or rubber and are like watchbands. If you go for collars with webbing material, your pup will get a bit more comfort and flexibility. This makes it the most preferred citronella bark collars by dog owners.
But if you are looking for a dog collar that is easy to use, you can go with the watchband-style collars.
- Two-part verification
You know how you need to do two things in order to log in to some of your internet accounts, right?
That is known as two-part verification. And some automatic citronella spray collars come with a similar concept. This is to prevent the release of the spray automatically.
Generally, the function of this type of collar is to detect the audible sound of your dog’s bark along with the vibration in their throat. And then, they release the spray.
This two-way verification is an excellent way to enhance the consistency of the collar, as it is essential in all training scenarios.
Now, does your pup become nervous very often?
Then this two-way verification would work great for them, as they may otherwise become traumatized when sprayed again and again with citronella for no such reason.
- Disposable vs. rechargeable batteries
There are many bark-correcting dog collars out there that are operated with the help of small, disposable batteries.
But there are rechargeable batteries out there too.
Now, you don’t need me to tell you the benefits of a rechargeable battery, right?
- Water resistance
Do you own a dog that is adventurous and loves to play in the water?
Then the feature water-resistance is something that you don’t want to miss in your citronella spray dog collar.
Not all no-bark dog collars available in the market come with waterproof or water-resistance features. If your doggo loves to swim, you might want a dog collar that can survive long hours of swimming or playing in the water.
But if your pup is not that adventurous or doesn’t like to play in the water, then the water-resistance feature is something that you might give a miss.
Now, the color of the citronella collar is not something of utmost importance, but yes, it is important to some doggo owners.
If you look at the available options you have, you will see that most of them come in the color black.
So, if you want the collar in other colors, make sure to look at the brands that offer color options.
- Are batteries and spray refills included?
Some collar brands are quite intelligent. In order to keep the price low, they leave out the batteries or spray cans needed for the unit.
Of course, you get to buy these items separately. But it will increase the overall price of the citronella bark collar.
So, while comparing the prices of the dog collars, keep this in mind.
- Neck size of your dog
The size of your pup’s neck becomes important when it comes to buying a citronella spray bark collar for them. This is because if you buy the wrong-sized collar, it will be of no use.
In order to help you pick the right-sized collar, most brands come with a size chart. Or, they at least mention the neck sizes in their product descriptions.
Get the size of your pup’s neck before you place your order.
So, you now know all about the best citronella bark collars. And you know the pros, cons and the features that they have. These are great for eliminating your pup’s nuisance barking.
Which one of these are you going to buy for your four-legged buddy?
Let me know in the comments!
Hi, I’m Walter,
I live in Oklahoma City, USA, and have extensive dog caring and grooming expertise. In addition, I provide dog training tips and tricks through my blogs in Canine Weekly. I have a Dog Behavior and Training diploma and have previously worked as a Dog Trainer at ROC Animal Training and Behavior and Tip Top K9 of OKC Dog Training.
Apart from writing on Canine Weekly, I share my views on Twitter and Linkedin.