If you own an older dog or a dog with health problems, you might be interested in buying dog steps or stairs for your furry friend.
At A Glance: Our Top 5 Picks for Dog Steps and Stairs:
- Pet Gear Easy Step II Pet Stairs – Our Top Pick
- PetSafe Solvit PupSTEP Plus Pet Stairs
- DogRamps Wooden Dog Ramp/Ladder for Small
- Pet Gear Travel Lite Ramp with supertraX Surface for Maximum Traction
- Majestic Pet Portable Pet Stairs | Soft Sherpa Foam Feeling Step
Dog owners can easily become overwhelmed when shopping for stairs for their dog because there are different varieties, with different features available. If you choose the wrong set of stairs or ramp for your dog, you can be frustrated and your dog might get hurt – that’s why we want to help you make the right decision.
Some of the features that you need to consider are the step or ramp’s size, safety features, material, and height. Before heading out to purchase your new steps or ramp, first, familiarize yourself with the different types of products that are available for you.
Dog Steps and Stairs Reviews[sc name=”best-dog-steps-and-stairs”]
These steps are suitable for dogs up to 150 lbs. and have rubber grippers to be safe and sturdy for even the most rambunctious dog.
The step height is 6 in., the top step depth is 12.25 in., and second step depth is 11.5 in. This change in step depth is designed to reduce the incline your dog needs to climb with each step.
This design does not require any tools to assemble. Rather, the steps snap together, making for an easy, hassle-free assembling process.
You can easily remove the covering and it is machine washable, ensuring that your dog is always fresh when climbing in your bed or lap, and you can clean any messes quickly and efficiently.
- The steps are designed to reduce the distance your dog climbs with every step, which is easier on their joints.
- The removable tread cover or carpet is easily machine washable.
- Easy assembly requires no tools- all piece simply snap together.
- The steps do not come pre-assembled.
- These steps are difficult to use with a car door or trunk, as they need a perfectly level surface with which to align, like as a bed or a couch.
These stairs are lightweight and only weight 5 lbs., making them easy to carry and store for anyone. However, they can support up to 150 lbs. of weight, making them sturdy for even large dogs.
You can easily fold and store these steps in a car or closet. Tucking away these steps when not needed ensures that they are out of sight when guests arrive, and don’t take up space in your house.
The steps have non-skid feet so the steps do not easily slip on your flooring. In addition, there is no assembly required, making them both safe and easy to use for your pet.
PetSafe US-based customers can call or email a specialist 6 days a week for any pressing questions or problems with the steps, ensuring you always have the support you need.
- The steps only weight 5 lbs., making them easy to use.
- These are the perfect size for most standard-sized beds or couches.
- These stairs fold easily for storage.
- You can use these steps to help dogs into your car.
- Even with non-skid feet, the steps can still rarely slide on certain slippery flooring.
- The large size and multiple steps of this product can be overwhelming in a bedroom.
This ramp weighs 14 lbs., meaning you can easily transport it in and out of the car and around your home. A lightweight ramp also minimizes your risk of personal injury when transferring it.
You can easily fold the ramp in half to store in your home under your bed, couch, or in your car. There is also a high traction carpet that keeps your pet from slipping on the ramp.
You can adjust the ramp to whatever height you need for your individual couch, bed, or any other surface. As you adjust the height or the ramp, the incline increases or decreases, making this ramp easy to customize.
When folded in half, this ramp has a safety lock to ensure the ramp is fully clamped shut and when transported. In addition, side rails help keep your dog safe from falling off the side.
- A lightweight, sleek remote and collar design ensures comfort for both you and your dog.
- Full user manual gives instructions about how to train your dog, including teaching basic commands, and also instructs you how to best use the collar safely.
- With a 5 lb. limit, this collar fits even the smallest of dog breeds, including chihuahuas, yorkies, and bichons.
- This ramp only supports dogs up to 85 lbs.
- If the ramp is not locked properly, it could collapse when your dog uses it.
This ramp only weighs 7 lbs., ensuring easy transport and storage. The material is also soft on your dog’s paws, ensuring ultimate comfort for your dog.
This ramp comes in various sizes, from 42 in. to 71 in., to accommodate any sized dog. In addition, raised sides means your dog is safe from falling off the side of the ramp.
You can remove the mat from the ramp for easy cleaning. In addition, there are bottom grippers to keep to ramp firmly anchored to the ground, meaning a safe transfer for your dog.
The ramp has a built-in handle for easy transport and folds either two or three times depending on ramp size for easy storage.
- This ramp only weighs 7 lbs. and has a handle for easy transport.
- The ramp’s mat is soft and easy on your dog’s tender paws.
- This ramp comes in various sizes to accommodate any sized dog, from small to large.
- The smaller sizes tend to be steep and difficult for a dog to walk up unassisted.
- This ramp is meant for car transfers and not for beds and couches.
This ramp comes in a variety of style options so you can customize the design to your home’s interior. This ramp can blend right in with your interior décor.
This set of stairs is made of a soft material that is easy on your dog’s paws and joints. This material is especially beneficial for dogs with arthritis.
You can easily machine wash the covering of these steps. The upholstery is long-lasting, so you won’t have to pay for replacement fabric often.
You can order this product to either come with 3 steps or 4 steps for easy customization to your needs, and you can use these steps on beds, chairs, and sofas.
- The steps come pre-assembled.
- You can easily wash the covering on these steps in your own washing machine.
- There are a variety of style options to fit any interior décor style.
- These steps can slide on a wooden or tile floor.
- These steps are polyester, so while they are soft on pets’ paws, they are not as supportive as other materials.
You can buy this set of stairs to have either 3 steps, 4 steps, or 5 steps to accommodate any sized couch, bed, or chair.
These steps are made of mattress-grade cushioning, so they are soft and easy on your dog’s joints. This material is especially beneficial for dogs with arthritis.
You can individually remove and machine wash each stair cover separately, ensuring that you don’t have to clean dirt or fur by hand with stain remover or your vacuum.
These steps come in 4 patterns and 8 different colors, ensuring you can match these steps to your home’s unique interior design.
- You can order these stairs with either 3, 4, or 5 steps to customize the steps’ heights
- There are a variety of stylish patterns and colors to help your dog’s stairs blend into your home’s décor.
- These steps come with a lifetime durability guarantee.
- Each stair cover can be individually removed and machine-washed.
- This set of stairs does not have any railings on the sides.
- These stairs are not water-resistant and cannot be used outdoors.
These stairs have a beautiful espresso wood finish to perfectly complement your home’s décor. You can adjust the height from 21.5 to 25.5 inches to customize these stairs for your dog.
These stairs can support up to 100 lbs. and are perfect for most small and medium-sized dogs. The steps are lined to protect dog’s paws and prevent your dog from slipping on the steps.
These stairs come already assembled, and you can fold them for easy transport in your car or under your bed. Safety side rails ensure your dog does not easily fall off the sides.
These steps come with floor-protecting pads to make sure your floor does not get scratched, and the steps are only 6 inches high and deep so smaller dogs can also enjoy these steps.
- The stairs are beautifully finished in a rich espresso color and will look refined in your home.
- Side rails ensure your dog is safe from falling off the steps.
- With steps only 6 inches high and deep, small dogs are perfect for these stairs.
- You can’t easily clean these stairs as easily, as they are not machine washable or removable.
- Dogs weighing more than 100 lbs. can’t safely use these stairs.
These stairs come with either 3 or 4 steps depending on your dog’s size and the height of your couch, car, or bed, making them easy to customize to you and your dog’s needs.
These steps are plastic, so they are durable and easy to clean. In addition, the steps fold for easy storage anywhere in your home. Each step has a non-stick pad to make sure your dog doesn’t slip.
You can use these steps to access vehicles, beds, or couches with a maximum seat or sill height of 20 inches. These steps also only weight 4.9 lbs., so you can transport them safely and easily.
You can choose between 2 colors, gray or tan, to compliment you and your home’s unique style. The sleek, minimalist design can fit into most rooms.
- Plastic steps are durable and don’t need to be washed.
- These steps weight less than 5 lbs. and easily collapse for folding.
- You can feel safe knowing these steps have a side rail and non-skid padding.
- These steps are only for dogs that weigh less than 40 lbs.
- These steps are only appropriate for surface heights of 20 inches and less.
You can use these steps either indoors or outdoors for cars, beds, or couches for dogs under 20 lbs., and although the steps are durable and for all weather, they only weigh 3 lbs. for easy transport.
These steps come pre-assembled and are ready for immediate use with surface heights of 14 inches or less. These steps also help reduce scratching or damage on furniture from dogs jumping up or clawing.
The steps are foldable and easy to transport and store anywhere you need in your car or home, helping protect you and your dogs from injury.
Older dogs, dogs suffering from arthritis, hip dysplasia, or increased pain can use these steps and prevent further injury, helping reduce potential vet bills.
- The steps only weigh 3 lbs. for easy and safe transport.
- You can remove the fleece-like covering for machine washing.
- These steps can prevent dogs from jumping on or clawing furniture.
- These steps are only for dogs that weigh less than 20 lbs.
- The steps are relatively short and only measure 14 inches in height.
This ramp is ideal for dogs up to 150 lbs., and is made of a high-quality, durable plastic. You can use the ramp indoors and outdoors, so it is versatile and you can use it in any conditions.
The ramp has a cut-out handle so you can avoid accidental openings and have a safe way to release the latch. In addition, there are rubber grips that help the ramp stick to the ground for greater safety.
This ramp folds in half and weighs 9 lbs. for easy storage and transport. Also, you can simply clean the ramp with soap and water, meaning no machine washing.
There is no sandpaper or carpeting, and the non-skid, rubbery surface is soft on your dog’s paws and slip-resistant.
- This ramp is safe for dogs up to 150 lbs.
- You can easily clean the ramp with just soap and water.
- The ramp is 6 feet long and suitable for high surfaces.
- You have to remember to latch the ramp or it could be hazardous to use.
- This product only comes in one size and color.
Benefits to consider when buying stairs for your dog
When used properly, dog stairs offer many benefits:
Using stairs with your dog can prevent injury: Dogs inevitably want to jump on the couch or bed with you, and most people transport their dog to the vet or the park in a car. For an older dog or a dog with arthritis or other orthopedic problems, stairs can help prevent further injury and help lessen your dog’s pain.
Using stairs with your dog can prevent damage to your furniture or car: When a dog has to jump onto a couch or into a car, scratching or other damage can occur. Using stairs provides a safe and controlled way for your dog to access wherever they need to go.
Stairs for your dog come are safe and easy to transport: Using stairs or a ramp with your dog can not only protect your dog from injury, but can also be safer for you. Rather than trying to lift your dog into your car or on your couch, use a set of stairs or ramp to provide easy access for your dog while protecting your back.
Steps or a ramp for your dog can prevent costly vet visits: If your dog got injured trying to jump up or down from high furniture or your car, a vet visit could cost you a fair amount of money. Prevent trips to the animal emergency room by using steps or a ramp.
Features to consider while choosing dog steps.
If you’re in the market for stairs for your dog, you should consider the following features.
Height and size: Stairs and ramps come in a variety of sizes and heights. You need to consider both the size of your dog, their specific abilities and needs, and the heights of the surface they need to access. In addition, some steps are adjustable and can extend, whereas some cannot be adjusted. It is a good idea to get exact measurements of the heights you need to accommodate.
Indoor/outdoor use: Especially if you need to use your stairs or ramp with your car, it is a good idea to consider whether you need a weather-resistant or weather-proof product. However, if you just need stairs or a ramp for inside use, you can consider more materials, including foam or fabric.
Weight for transport: Because you will have to transport the stairs or ramp at some point, either to store it in your car when driving or out of sight when guests arrive, considering weight of the product is important. In order to protect you from injury, lighter products might be more beneficial, although you want to ensure the steps are sturdy enough for your dog’s weight.
Weight limit for the dog: Smaller dogs tend to use stairs more often than larger dogs, as they have more difficulty jumping up to high surfaces. However, if you are using a ramp or stairs with a larger dog, be sure to check the weight limit to ensure your dog can safely use the stairs or ramp.
Material and cleaning: Some stairs or ramps are made of plastic material, while others are made of foam or soft material. In addition, these materials have different cleaning methods. You can usually clean plastic with soap and water. Some fabric or soft materials can be machine-washed easily.
How to use a set of dog stairs or ramp
To ensure the most safe and reliable use of dog steps or ramps, follow these tips when using a one of these products with your dog:
- Assemble the stairs or ramp. In some cases, the product comes pre-assembled. Be sure to read the instructions about the safe use of the product. If there is a latch, be sure the ramp or stairs are safely latched to a sturdy surface.
- If your dog is not using the stairs or ramp, you can usually train your dog to gradually use the steps safely and confidently using positive feedback, such as a treat or other reward when the dog goes up or down the steps.
- If your ramp or stairs collapse for storage, be sure to understand how to fold and store the product, as well as how to safely carry and transport it to prevent injury.
- Be sure if your product has non-skid pads or machine washable coverings that they are firmly in place before your dog uses the ramp or stairs, as you do not want your dog to accidentally slip.
- Follow the instruction manual regarding cleaning your ramp, including how to take off and then reattach any removable coverings. In some cases, however, you can clean a ramp or steps with simple soap and water.
Types of dog steps, ramps, and stairs
- Plastic steps: Made of a hard, durable material, plastic stairs for your dog might be beneficial in certain situations. For example, plastic steps are easy to clean immediately, so using them outdoors or in situations your dog might be dirty, like after a muddy day at the dog park, can be easier for you when clean-up time comes. Rather than removing and machine-washing fabric, simply clean the plastic with soap and water and you are done. However, plastic steps are not as easy on your dog’s joints or paws.
- Foam or soft steps: Soft steps are beneficial for dogs with higher levels of pain in their paws or joints, as they create a cushion for your dog. However, foam or soft steps can be more a hassle to clean; at the very least, taking the softcover off to put in the washing machine takes more time than washing plastic with soap and water. Soft steps are best for indoor use, and usually are more stylish in their design than plastic steps. Foam steps are also more beneficial for small to medium dogs, as well as those with more joint pain. In general, dog stairs take up less space than ramps and can fit into your home more easily than long ramps.
- Ramps: These products are usually for larger dogs, and are sturdier and more reliable than steps, mostly because they tend to have a latch and are made of strong material. When latched to another sturdy surface, ramps should not slide whatsoever. No matter which non-skid surface is on the bottom of dog stairs, they can still slide on certain flooring, or with enough force from your dog. In addition, ramps are better on arthritic dog’s joints than stairs, as it is a smoother, more gradual incline.
As you can see, buying a set of stairs or a ramp for your dog requires extensive research into different varieties and features of these products. You and your dog have specific needs, so it is important to consider these differences before buying.
Helping your dog to safely complete car, couch, and bed transfers is important to not only your dog’s health, but yours. You can injury yourself just as easily as your dog when trying to lift your dog onto a high bed or into a car, so investing in stairs or a ramp is investing in you and your dog’s health and quality of life.
Please feel free to leave comments regarding your own experiences with stairs or ramps, or if you need more information that was not addressed in this article.