You love your dog, but you may not want it running all throughout your home. Or perhaps you’re trying a potty train a new puppy. Whatever the case may be, dog gates and playpens are an effective and safe way to keep some areas from your pet’s reach.
At A Glance: Our Top 5 Picks for Dog Gates:
- Carlson Extra Wide Walk-Thru Pet Gate with small pet door and extension kit – Our Top Pick
- Regalo 192 inch Super Wide Adjustable Gate and Play Yard
- Regalo 47-inch Extra Wide Walk Thru Gate
- Midwest Homes for Pets Exercise Pen for Pets
- AmazonBasics Folding Metal Pet Exercise and Play Pen
Are you looking for something to block off a small area, a hallway, or a door in your home? Depending on your specific situation there are multiple options of dog gates to consider, such as portable, expandable, freestanding or walkthrough.
Table of Content
10 Best Dog Gates of 2023 — Reviews
|Carlson Extra Wide Walk-Thru Pet Gate with small pet door and extension kit||• Has non-toxic finishes to keep your home, pet, and walls safe|
• It is easily adjustable with the extension kits provided
|Regalo 192 inch Super Wide Adjustable Gate and Play Yard||• It can be converted into a play yard easily• FEATURE2|
• It is made of durable steel material
|Regalo 47-inch Extra Wide Walk Thru Gate||• It has a great walk-thru design with easy to use a lock|
• It can be stored almost anywhere when not in use
|Midwest Homes for Pets Exercise Pen for Pets||• Folds flat to be stored anywhere|
• There is nothing needed to assemble the pen
|AmazonBasics Folding Metal Pet Exercise and Play Pen||• It has an easy open and close gate design|
• Gives your pet space to exercise without disruption
|North States Pet MyPet Paws 40” Portable Pet Gate||• It is easily adjusted when putting it into place|
• It can fit into most spaces without added extension kits
|Regalo Easy Step Walk Through Baby Gate||• Easy to set up and taken down|
• Adjustable to fit larger spaces
|Carlson Pet Products Lil’ Tuffy Expandable Gate||• It is gentle on walls with a pressure mount design|
• The nontoxic finishes can keep your pet even safer
|Richell Wood Freestanding Pet Gate||• It comes already put together|
• It has a sturdy base and side panels to help it stay put
|Primetime Petz 360 Configurable Gate with Door||• It is easily configured into any way you would like it|
• Stays secure due to rubber pads to keep it from sliding
The Carlson Extra Wide Walk-Thru Pet Gate is a great option for pet owners looking for something durable to protect their homes and pet. It’s easy to set up and take down.
It has the ability to expand to an extra-wide capacity while not marking up walls. This can help it fit into almost any doorway or hall opening as well as keep them clean.
The Carlson gate has numerous safety features. Two of them being its non-toxic finishes and safety locks to help keep your pet and home secure.
The gate comes with adjustable extension kits to help add width to fit multiple areas. Making it easy to move to different locations like doorways or stairs as needed.
- Has non-toxic finishes to keep your home, pet, and walls safe.
- It is easily adjustable with the extension kits provided.
- The walk-thru door makes it easy for you to move in and out of.
- The small pet door has to be secured multiple times
- It does not fit in all spaces as it is mentioned.
This Regalo Super Wide Adjustable Gate and Play Yard Is a great option for anyone who likes something that can have options. It can easily go from a gate to being put together into a play yard.
It is made of all steel that helps it be durable and reliable. The reliability and flexibility of the gate help your gate stay secure no matter what position you have it on.
It has a great safety locking feature on the walk through the gate. This feature helps the gate open and close securely and easily for anyone.
It is easily adjustable. The gate can be put into most spaces and laid out to fit no matter how you need to configure it.
- It can be converted into a play yard easily.
- It is easily adjustable to fit wider spaces.
- It is made of durable steel material.
- Has vertical bars that are not reliable and some things can pass through
- It can be knocked over easily when set up as a playpen.
The Regalo 47-inch Extra Wide Walk Thru Gate is a great option for a home with medium size to larger animals. It has a great adjustable design to adhere to any space or pet(s).
It has a great pressure mount design. This system will help make it easy to put together, to set up and take down as needed.
It has a nice all-steel design along with an easy to open walk-thru the door. This can help you get in and out as needed without any hassle or setbacks.
It is easily adjustable and foldable to a flat position. This makes it easy to put in smaller spaces and keep them out of the way.
- It has a great walk-thru design with easy to use a lock.
- It can be stored almost anywhere when not in use.
- Comes with extension kits to help it fit into most spaces throughout the home.
- The lock can be hard to open sometimes on the walk-thru a portion of the gate.
- It can be hard to line up pieces during assembly.
The Midwest Homes for Pets Exercise Pen is a great option to keep the pet(s) secure in the home. It allows them to roam freely without worry about disrupting things within the house.
It is easily adjustable to put up and take down. This makes it a great option to be put in multiple spaces indoors and out.
It has a secure double latch door to keep it from accidentally opening. The secure door can give you peace of mind knowing your pet is safe and secure.
Has a great fold-flat design that makes it easy for you to take down? It also makes it easy to store anywhere in your home.
- Folds flat to be stored anywhere.
- There is nothing needed to assemble the pen.
- Has an e coat finish to protect it from wear over time.
- Easier to use outside because of the stakes provided.
- It can sometimes be knocked over with larger animals.
The Amazon Basics Foldable Exercise and Play Pen is a great option for any pet owner. It gives pets the ability to move around and get exercise in a decent space without disrupting your home.
It is made of a long-lasting metal that allows it to easily keep its shape. Allowing you to trust a product to keep your pets safe.
It is easily put together and does not require any tools to set up or take down. This allows you less frustration that may come with other gates and assembly.
- It is easily put together and taken down, making it easy to store.
- It has an easy open and close gate design.
- Gives your pet space to exercise without disruption.
- It does not work for all pets.
- The gate door can sometimes easily be unlocked.
The North States Pet MyPet Paws Gate is a great option to help keep your pet safe and secure. It is easily put into place and can be adjusted to fit most spaces.
The gate features rubber bumpers on either side of it. This can help ensure that you do not get marks on your walls or floors.
It comes pre-assembled upon delivery. This makes it easy to move around and able to fit in multiple different spaces.
It is made of durable plastic material so it is more trustworthy and able to use indoors and out. Making it great for any home or space.
- It is easily adjusted when putting it into place.
- ‘It has a great design to help it look good anywhere.
- It can fit into most spaces without added extension kits.
- It is hard to release and takedown.
- It does not always stand up to the sturdiness it claims to have.
The Walk Thru Gate by Regalo is an all-star, it is easy to assemble and can fit into most hallways and doors. Its walk-through design makes it a great option for any home.
It has a secure steel design that makes it durable as well as sturdy. The Regalo gate gives you peace of mind knowing you can trust the product to keep your dog where they need to be.
It also is easily adjustable with the extension kit that comes with it. This makes it convenient to move and expand to fit wherever you need it.
This gate also has multiple safety lock features that help it from falling over or breaking from the impact of pets. It can give you peace of mind.
- Easy to set up and taken down.
- Adjustable to fit larger spaces.
- All steel design to help stay put and look good
- The gate door can be hard to open with one hand making it difficult to get through.
- The rubber feet can slide on certain floors.
The Carlson Pet Products Lil’ Tuffy Expandable Gate with Small Pet Door by Carlson Pet Products is a convenient and fully functional pet gate that is easily assembled. It is a great fit for anyone with a small pet.
It has a small pet door for added convenience. The little pet door allows even smaller pets to not be locked in but keeps others out.
It also can be made to expand to wider doorways and openings than most other gates. Which helps you lock your pet into even larger spaces as needed.
The gate is made with non-toxic finishes. This can help you have more peace of mind knowing none of the products can harm your pet.
- It is gentle on walls with a pressure mount design.
- The small pet door allows some pets to go through while keeping others out.
- The nontoxic finishes can keep your pet even safer.
- The small pet door is not very strong when shut.
- It can be hard to fit into some doorways.
The Richell Wood Freestanding Pet Gate is a great option for most spaces with no assembly required. The wood design with curved edges makes it sturdy and able to look great inside your home.
It has a freestanding dependable design with wood panels on either side. This helps keep your animal secure while being able to fit in most spaces.
The freestanding gate is delivered already assembled. Making it easy to move around and even less hassle when you get it with nothing to put together.
It has adjustable options on each side. These adjustments help to make sure it can fit in wider spots throughout your home like wide hallways or doorways and stairs.
- A beautiful wood design that can look good in almost any house.
- It comes already put together.
- It has a sturdy base and side panels to help it stay put.
- It is not very high, some dogs can jump over it
- Some animals can fit through the slats
The Primetime Petz 360 Configurable Gate is a well-made adjustable gate for anyone looking for one with flexibility as well as style. It has a great walnut finish and has flexible spring hinges to allow it to be positioned in many different ways.
It is able to be configured in many different ways. The spring hinges that it comes with allows the different panels to be moved around up to 360 degrees or however you desire.
The gate is also very lightweight. This makes it easy for you to move around and store it. It even folds quickly and can easily fit anywhere you would like to put it.
- It is easily configured into any way you would like it.
- It has a great walnut finish to complement any home.
- Stays secure due to rubber pads to keep it from sliding,
- Not made with the most durable material.
- It is not made of sturdy material.
Types of Dog Gates
When choosing a dog gate for your home there are multiple kinds to choose from. Your decision all depends on what you prefer for your home, as well as what will work best for your pet.
There are many different options that can make choosing the right one for you a different process than what works for someone else. Here are the most common types of dog gates.
- Walk Through Gates: Walkthrough gates are great for when you are putting a higher gate in an area that may have a lot of foot traffic. If it is going in an area of your home you frequently walk through, yet you do not want your pet to then this is a great option for you.
- Adjustable Gates: If you are looking for a gate that can be used in multiple areas depending on the day then adjustable options are great. Many dog gates will come with extension kits to allow you to easily expand a gate to fit wider spaces.
- Freestanding Gates: Freestanding gates generally come with little to no assembly required. They can be a great option if you are looking to block off an area without attaching anything to your wall. However, these can sometimes not be as reliable and easier for larger dogs to push through.
- Configurable Gates: Configurable gates are great when you want to secure an odd area or want something that can easily be folded or bent. Many of these types will have different sections that can be turned in different ways to add flexibility to the area.
How to Select a Dog Gate
Selecting a dog gate is no easy job. Before deciding, you must carefully evaluate several aspects. So let’s look at the factors you need to be careful of before you buy a dog gate for your furry pooch.
1. Material and Quality
The material used in the dog gate should be of top quality. The gate should be durable and serve your purpose for a long time, as you don’t want to end up being bogged down in the never-ending trouble of searching and purchasing new dog gates.
Besides, your dog may also chew on the gate while it is confined, so ensure that the material won’t prove toxic for your dog as it chews on it.
The size of the dog gate should also be taken into account before buying a dog gate. Again, it depends on your dog’s size, breed, and nature. For example, if your dog is tall, athletic, and likes to jump over gates, you need a high dog fence.
The main aim of a dog gate is to ensure that your dog remains safe and secure. While it should be easily operatable, the gate should securely attach to the walls or the corners. This will ensure that your dog is not able to escape the dog door.
The dog gate you buy should be durable enough to withstand your dog. It should be broken easily from its hinges or be toppled over by your dog. Besides, free-standing dog doors can be used outside your house as well.
Try to get a door made up of pure steel, ensuring that it won’t rust when left outside.
5. Where Your Gate Will Be Used
Before purchasing a dog gate, decide on where you intend to use the gate. This will help you determine the required size of the dog gate. It will also help you decide whether you need to screw and fix your dog gate or whether a standalone gate will work.
For instance, the size of a dog gate will vary depending on whether you want to use the gate on some corner of your kitchen or the front porch.
Reasons You Might Need A Dog Gate
You must have noticed that it can be hyperactive at times. It can go into a state of frenzy and run around the whole place. Of course, as a concerned pet parent, you would order it to calm down, but some dogs, especially the untrained ones, don’t always listen to our instructions.
It would still run madly in the whole house. So, you may wonder if installing a dog gate would serve your purpose. But what are the uses of a dog gate? Let’s find out.
Dog Gates Bars Your Dog From Places It Should Not Visit
Certain places or corners in your house may have goods or sharp objects. We don’t want our dogs to run here and there, as they may find themselves in troublesome places.
They may prove fatal to your curious furry friends. A dog gate is a perfect solution to stop them from reaching out to those places.
Besides, some of your house rooms may have special plastic or wooden furniture; if given a chance, your dog won’t spare them. To save the furniture from your dog, you need to install a dog gate, which will confine your dog to a fixed place.
Dog Gates Can Save Your Dog From Household Chemicals
Most of us have some chemical or the other in our home that we use for our day-to-day activities. The most common of these chemicals are bleaching agents, phenyl, and sanitizers.
Dogs are curious by nature and keep wandering around the house.
They can reach these chemicals, and if they chew on the packet or the bottle, accidentally ingesting some of these chemicals, it can prove fatal to them. So, a dog gate is a good solution as it keeps them from reaching such places where we store these chemicals.
Dog Gates Are Helpful For Dogs Staying Alone At Home
There is a good chance that your dog has to stay alone in your house while you are away from work.
Beware of such a situation, as out of loneliness and boredom, your dog may play everywhere, including on your pieces of furniture. This may end up wrecking the house in your absence.
A dog gate is one of the best solutions to this problem. You can fix the gate at a place where your dog will get enough space to move around but won’t be able to wreck the whole house.
Dog Gates Save Them From Reaching Pantries Made For Humans
Most of us stack up food in our house, and there is a good chance that our dog will find the source and help itself out. But human foods are not always suitable for dogs. Some of them can even prove to be fatal for them.
Such food items can lead to issues ranging from instant allergies to digestive problems. So, the easiest way to keep a dog away from such food items is to install a dog gate. It will ensure that your dog doesn’t reach that pantry of your house.
Dog Gates Prove Helpful For Dogs With Anxiety And Depression
Just like humans, some dogs may also suffer from anxiety resulting from separation from their owners. Such dogs tend to follow their owners all the time, which can cause inconvenience, as it is not possible for you to accompany your pet all the time.
Installing a dog gate can be highly beneficial in such cases. You can install the gate and let it be near you but not cling to you. This will allow the dog to realize the importance of personal space.
Once it is comfortable knowing that you are around, it will also gradually learn to live on its own, which will help it deal with separation anxiety.
Dog Gates Are Helpful For Curious Dogs
Dogs can be curious and may like to wander off on hearing the postman’s arrival while you are busy with household chores. For such dogs, a gate ensures they do not wander away.
While chaining them up is also an option, vets and experts recommend against doing so, as chained dogs tend to be more temperamental and may develop aggression.
Frequently Asked Questions About Dog Gates
When you are picking out a dog gate many questions may come to mind. It is important to get a good understanding of what you are purchasing and what will be best for you and your family. Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about dog gates.
Every gate is different however, it is important to know so you can decide if it can fit or not in your space. Always check the reviews to make sure they run true to size before purchasing.
Some dog gates do include non-toxic materials. It is important to read through all of the information on each gate when deciding on one for yourself.
This is something that you definitely want to be aware of. Some gates are going to come already put together while some may require some building. One of the biggest complaints of dog gates is related to assembly issues.
If you have a larger dog it may be smart to invest in a higher rated gate made of steel versus plastic or wood. Steel material tends to hold up better than others.
If you are looking to take something both indoor and outdoor to be sure to pay attention to the material. Plastic and some metals are going to hold up better outdoors vs. wood. The quality of the material it is made of matters.
The steps to correctly install a dog gate are:
• Choosing the right door according to the size and habits of your dog.
• Identify where you want to install the gate, and mark the points.
• Use a half-inches drilling machine and drill holes at the markings.
• Carefully place the gate according to your plan.
• Tighten the screws that come with the gate, and check if the gate is properly functioning or not.
Metal gates work best for dogs who tend to chew a lot. Avoid any dog gate made of scratchable or chewable materials like plastic or wood or a gate made of both mesh and plastic.
Yes, if you have a tall or a hefty dog, they can knock down free-standing gates. Besides, any athletic or energetic dog can also topple them down. This is because free-standing gates are not screwed to any wall, making them easier to topple.
No, you should not use baby gates for dogs. The purpose of these gates might be similar, but baby gates are comparatively weaker than dog gates.
So, baby gates would easily collapse when your dog tries to topple them, and they may even hurt your dog in the process.
While most dog owners recommend training your dog from an early age as you won’t even require any barriers then, there are other options.
You can choose pet barriers made from fabric, easy-to-assemble PVC doors, wood dowel doors, and Plexiglass doors to contain your dog within its designated territory.
You can always make cheap and sturdy dog gates using wood, or you can opt to make a fence for your dog using plastic panels and caps. Besides, PVC dog gates can also be built at home. They are cheap, highly durable, and more sturdy than a plastic fence.
Last, you can also choose used futon frames, or barn doors can be re-used to build dog doors, which will be very economical and easy to assemble.
How to Use a Dog Gate to Ensure Safety
When you purchase a dog gate for your home you want to make sure you are keeping your animal safe and protecting your home at the same time.
The last thing you want is to buy something that actually ends up injuring your pet due to instability, it not being reliable or durable or any other reason. Here are some tips on ensuring safety with them.
- Make sure your gate is flush with a wall or other steady surface. You do not want to have your pet slip through or be able to push it in on either side. If they were to get out, they could either knock it over and hurt themselves or something else. They could also hurt something within the house.
- If you are assembling it, make sure all the connections are secure. The last thing you want is your pet to break through one of the joints or pieces of the gate. This could cause multiple areas of harm as they could get poked or cut, or it could even fall on them.
- If it has a walk-through gate make sure it closes securely. If the opening is not secure it could be an easy access point for your pet to escape. Check to make sure it is assembled correctly. Go back and retrace your assembly steps.
- If it has bars make sure they are sturdy and small enough that your pet cannot fit through it and that it cannot break them. Durability is a big factor you should consider when purchasing especially if you have a dog who likes to jump or is rougher and has the ability to knock things over. Look over reviews prior to purchasing a product if you fall into this category.
If you are looking to purchase a dog gate for your home you want to make sure you get one that will live up to your expectations. The best dog gates are reliable, durable and probably look good too. All of those things are part of what you need to consider when purchasing a dog gate.
The right dog gate for you will depend on your specific needs. Looking good while being reliable may not always go together but they do exist.
Forrest is a lover of dogs, the wild outdoors, deep mysterious conversations… and coffee. He is the owner of several websites, including Canine Weekly. He resides in Austin, Texas.