Isn’t it exciting to take our furry friends everywhere that we go? Last week I took my dog on a trek. At the top, there was ice, and I felt he needed a sled. We had a friend who could help us find a decent sled for my dog, which I am still using. After coming back, I explored some more harnesses that would fit my other pets. Based on my research, I prepared a list of the best sled dog harnesses, and I have my favorite among these. You will be able to judge and know which one it is by the end of this blog.
Our Top Recommendation for Sled Dog Harness!
The Pet Artist dog sled is an ideal choice if you want to get a sled for your beginner dog. It is safe, sturdy, and durable. It is meant to ensure your dog’s seamless training and is designed to provide the best comfort to your doggo.
*We earn a commission if you make a purchase, at no additional cost to you.
Table of Content
Best Sled Dog Harness Reviews
There are many factors based on which one can decide and select the sled for their furry friend. Before shortlisting the best ones, I have kept the design, quality, comfort, utility, and some additional factors in mind. You can select the sled dog harness for your dog based on your budget and utility.
|PET ARTIST Dog Sled Weight Pulling Training Harnesses||• Ideal for wight-pulling dog-training|
• Can be used for ski-joring
• Durable and efficient product
|Neewa Adjustable Sled Pro Harness||• It is ideal for large dog breeds|
• It is adjustable and comfortable
• Uses a wide neck and 8 adjusting points
|Neewa Sled Pro Harness (Medium, Pink)||• Made with non-allergic, breathable material|
• Available in different sizes
• Uses reflective bands for visibility at nighttime
|2 Hounds Design Freedom No Pull Dog Harness||• Features a martingale loop|
• Made in USA product
• Offers chewing replacement for the harness
|PoyPet No Pull Dog Harness||• Uses Nylon strap|
• Features breathable air-mesh with soft padded cushion
• Comes with sturdy plastic buckles
|PetSafe Easy Walk Dog Harness, Black/Silver||• Uses Nylon material|
• Comes with a quick guide for a user-friendly experience
|Rabbitgoo Dog Harness||• It has adjustable soft padded vest for comfort|
• Uses no-pull, no-choke technology
• It is safe and comfortable
|PetLove Dog Harness||• Comes with 12-month warranty|
• Uses light-weight mesh-lining
• Has reflective material for nighttime visibility
1. PET ARTIST Dog Sled Weight Pulling Training Harnesses
Pet Artist dog sled is a great option for your doggo if you are still training them. It is made from nylon material, making it highly durable and reliable during those long training hours. It is meant for most dog breeds and comes with a 100% quality guarantee.
- It is strong and sturdy and works great as a weight-pulling dog training tool.
- Its design keeps the comfort of your pet a priority.
- It can be used for dogs with a 31.5” (80cm) dog neck circumference.
Pros & Cons of PET ARTIST Dog Sled Weight Pulling Training Harnesses
- It can be easily used for big dogs, like Alaskan Malamutes, Huskies, and Pit Bull Terriers.
- Made using strong nylon fabric, which adds to the product’s durability.
- The re-inforced stitching can be used to carry an immense weight of 1200 pounds.
- The size is not compatible with most middle-sized dogs.
- It has been noted that the company’s return policy is not very consumer-friendly.
User Review: Although most dog owners who have large dog breeds or adult dogs has observed that the sled has worked perfectly for their dogs. Whereas some of the users have a slightly different experience and said that the sled is non-adjustable and not suitable for any middle-sized dogs.
Bottom Line: It is one of the best sleds available on the market and works perfectly well for large breeds of dogs. The sled is well-stitched and helps your dog during the training period, but it also lets your dog pull weight without hurting itself.
2. Neewa Adjustable Sled Pro Harness
As a dog parent, if you want to take your dog to peddle, go skiing, or even ride your bike along with you, Neewa has the perfect sled for you. This sled is available in various sizes, and so depending on the dog you have and its size, you can decide which size of the sled works for your dog.
- To begin with, the sled is adjustable and can be adjusted according to the size of your dog.
- It is made out of non-allergenic materials. This allows your dog’s skin to be safe from any skin allergy.
- Besides, the sled is made from light materials, which relieves your dog from any additional weight.
- There is soft padding on the neck and the back, which further saves your dog’s back.
Pros & Cons of Neewa Adjustable Sled Pro Harness
- The material is non-allergenic, and the sled can be dried off quite easily.
- There is soft padding on the back and the neck.
- There are eight adjusting points.
- Available in different colors like pink and yellow.
- Some of the rings are made of plastic, and if your dog is strong enough, a nice pull can break the ring, which will tamper with the condition of the sled.
User Review: Overall, the Neewa adjustable sled pro harness has reported that the sled fits their dogs perfectly, and it has enabled them to engage their dogs in a range of outdoor activities. Still, some of the users have also commented on the poor quality stitching.
Bottom Line: Overall, the Neewa adjustable sled pro harness is meant for dogs of various sizes and has been made accordingly. The color options are an added benefit. The quality of the material that has been used is nice and adds to the comfort of your dog. If you wish to engage in more outdoor activities with your dog, you can choose the product.
3. Neewa Sled Pro Harness (Medium, Pink)
Specially designed for wolf-like or Nordic dog breeds, this sled is another product by Neewa and there is a range of sizes available to cater to the individual requirements of dogs. The sled is ideal for pulling activities, like trekking or sledding. The company also provides you with a size guide, and you can refer to it before choosing the right size for your dog.
- It is made up of non-allergic, breathable, and highly comfortable fabric.
- The harness is made of polypropylene, with padding around the neck and the rib area, which distributes the pressure throughout the dog’s body.
- It is designed in an “X” shape, which makes it comfortable for your dog to carry.
Pros & Cons of Neewa Sled Pro Harness (Medium, Pink)
- It is made of breathable materials which are non-allergic to your dog’s skin.
- The sled is available in a range of colors, and there are reflective parts infused within the sled, enabling you to locate your dog even in darkness.
- This sled comes in a range of sizes, and you can choose according to the size of your dog.
- The design can be a little confusing for some dogs, and some of the users have observed that the sled gets tangled if the dog is not running straight.
User Review: Many users of this sled have given positive feedback and say that the harness performs perfectly. Still, a few users have also observed that the sled is better suited for slender breeds and may not work as effectively for larger dog breeds like Alaskan malamutes.
Bottom Line: The Neewa sled pro harness is meant for dogs of different sizes. It is a perfect product for your dog, which will enable your dog to engage in all outdoor activities without compromising on the level of comfort.
4. 2 Hounds Design Freedom No Pull Dog Harness
This harness by 2 Hounds is one of the most comfortable sleds, available at a highly affordable price, and if you are looking for a sled, which will make the walk sessions with your dog easy, this product is definitely for you. Made in the United States, the sled is available for small, medium, and large-sized dogs, and the sled comes along with a leash.
- The sled is easy and comfortable, and your dog is bound to like the feeling of wearing such a lightweight sled.
- Besides, laced with four adjustment points, it enables you to control better.
- Made of steel and nylon, the sled is strong and adds to its durability.
Pros & Cons of 2 Hounds Design Freedom No Pull Dog Harness
- There is a velvet lining in the sled, saving any chance of rubbing it against your dog’s skin.
- The sled is made up of stainless steel and nylon, which add to the strength and durability of the product.
- Two connections enable you to control your dog better, especially when your dog is under training.
- 2 Hounds provides a warranty against your dog chewing through the sled, an added benefit.
- Some users have complained that the sled has physically hurt their dogs.
User Review: Most of the users have reported that the sled has worked fine with their dogs, and they have enjoyed walking their pets. But a few of the users have also pointed out that their dog has chewed through the material.
Bottom Line: Apart from the numerous users, the sled is recommended by veterinarians, behaviorists, and trainers to train your dog easily. It allows you to have firm control over your dog, yet your dog shall be comfortable during regular walks or while your dog is undergoing training.
5. PoyPet No Pull Dog Harness
This sled by PoyPet is a newer version and comes with the latest and most advanced features. For example, it has two buckles on the belly area, but it also has another buckle on the neck, so you don’t have to slip the sled over your dog’s head every time. Besides, PoyPet is dedicated to providing flawless services to its consumers, and hence, the company assures you that your grievances and complaints will be addressed within twenty-four hours.
- The sled is made to ensure maximum comfort for your dog.
- Not only is it padded, but even the handle also has some fillings so that you don’t feel the pressure of your dog on your fingers while you guide your dog during walking or running.
- There is a reflective material, which makes it easier for you to find your dog.
Pros & Cons of PoyPet No Pull Dog Harness
- The straps are adjustable, allowing your dog to grow and fit easily.
- The sled is both durable and light in weight.
- The belly straps are elastic, providing elasticity for your dog and absorbing the jerks as they run.
- It has been observed by one of the customers that the locking mechanism doesn’t function very smoothly.
User Review: Most users seem highly satisfied with the features and the overall performance, although a few of them have observed that gauging the right size for your canine friend can be a tricky business.
Bottom Line: This is a no pull dog harness is one of the preferred sleds by dog parents owing to its premium quality and advanced features, which makes outdoor activities more fun and worthwhile. The product has been designed to make the activities fun for your dog and you. The inflated handle ensures that, as a dog parent, you are not hurt due to the pressure exerted by your dog while running or trekking.
6. PetSafe Easy Walk Dog Harness, Black/Silver
If you own a dog and you do not wish to pull or choke it while you take it out, PetSafe has come up with an easy walk, no pull dog harness. Meant for sizes like small, medium, and large dog breeds, it will help you train your dogs, daily walking, and take it for outdoor activities. This sled was created more than a decade ago by a veterinary behaviorist and has since been trusted by many dog parents.
- Made out of nylon, it is strong and can easily fit your dog without causing it any discomfort.
- The sled rests on your dog’s chest, not on its throat; hence, the chances of your dog choking on the harness are much lesser.
- The front chest straps help in easily training your dog.
Pros & Cons of PetSafe Easy Walk Dog Harness, Black/Silver
- The quick-snap straps, both in the belly and the shoulder, allow you to put the sled on your dog easily.
- Therefore, the harness covers a lesser surface area and is bound to be more comfortable on your dog’s skin.
- The company allows you to get the sled exchanged in an instant in case you have ordered the wrong size.
- Some users have complained that the sled has caused their dogs skin irritation.
User Review: Majority of users have reported that the sled is a perfect blend of style, durability, and comfort and has been a perfect product for their dog. Still, some consumers have also reported that the sled has caused skin problems and irritation in their dogs.
Bottom Line: This sled has enjoyed immense popularity among the masses for quite some time now. It is the perfect companion for your dog during its training sessions or while walking. The harness is light and designed to don’t tamper with your dog’s throat. The brand is trusted and well-known, and they have maintained the quality of the sled without compromising the durability of the product.
7. Rabbitgoo Dog Harness
If you own a medium or large-sized strong dog and are looking for a sled for it, the rabbitgoo dog harness is the product you should be looking for. The harness is black in color and suits most of the dogs. Besides, the company provides you with a guidebook. You can always refer to the same to decide on the size of the sled that will fit your dog.
- Made of nylon which adds to the strength and durability of the sled.
- There are two straps, each on the neck and the chest, enabling you to slip the sled on your dog easily.
- The buckles on the sled can be released fast, and you can always hold the top handle for additional grip.
- The sled has metal rings, which adds to the strength and ensures safer walks for your walks. It also enables you to control your dog better.
Pros & Cons of rabbitgoo Dog Harness
- The sled is padded with soft cotton, which can protect your dog’s skin.
- The sled has breathable mesh, which helps keep your dog’s body temperature low.
- The sled strips are reflective, and this acts as additional safety, especially during the night.
- The sled is simplistically designed, enabling the owners to clean them easily.
- Some of the customers have complained that the stitching of the sled is not up to the mark, which causes it to break abruptly.
User Review: Most of the users have found that this sled delivers what it promises and has been a perfect product for their canine friends, but a few customers have noted certain issues with the stitching.
Bottom Line: Be it walking, jogging, or any other outdoor exercise, the rabbitgoo dog harness is designed to perform. Made up of comfortable yet fashionable materials, it ensures that dog parents and their furry friends enjoy their outdoor activities.
Read More: 5 Best Dog Harnesses for Hiking in 2022
8. PetLove Dog Harness
This sled by PetLove is made from scratch-resistant material, which is light in weight and has a mesh lining, with a sponge padding on its chest and belly, and this stylish sled is bound to be a comfortable sled that both you and your dog will enjoy for sure. The product comes in different sizes and is perfect for small, medium, and large dog breeds.
- The sled has a huge loading capacity, made up of durable yet stylish material.
- The sled has a reflective material, which will enable you to find your dog, even in darkness.
- The sled comes with a guide, which you can consult before selecting a sled for your dog.
- The PetLove dog harness has a twelve-month warranty, an additional benefit of the sled.
Pros & Cons of PetLove Dog Harness
- Stylish in look and is made up of highly durable material.
- Reflective material is infused in the sled, enabling you to find your dog in the dark as well.
- Sponge padding around the chest and the belly area distributes the force all over your dog’s body.
- The inner mesh is equally comfortable and breathable, which keeps your dog’s skin in good condition.
- One of the harness joints is held together by a plastic tag, which can break if your dog is strong enough.
User Review: The users of this sled are satisfied with the product’s overall performance, and they have observed that the harness is a sheer combination of strength and style. Still, a few customers have also complained about discrepancies in the sled size.
Bottom Line: The PetLove dog harness is made to ensure that you can enjoy outdoor activities with your dog, and it does that. The material that has been used is comfortable, and your dog will never feel the weight the same. The reflective material will be an added advantage as you can easily find your dog in darkness as well.
Things to Consider Before Buying Sled Dog Harness
Buying a harness for your sled is never an easy job. There are a couple of factors that you should consider before buying a harness for your dog, which will impact your overall experience with sledding. Let’s have a quick look at them.
- Type of Harness: There are lots of harness types readily available in the market. But it is important to remember that not all types of harnesses work on every type of dog. The choice of harness depends on the breed, size, and density of fur of your dog. Besides, the most common type of harness that dog owners prefer is the X-back harness, which is well-padded and covers the whole length of your dog’s body.
- Material: The material used in the harness is of utmost importance. You don’t want to own a harness that is too weak to carry the weight. At the same time, the harness can’t be too heavy as it will add to your dog’s discomfort.
- Adjustability: A good harness should be adjustable, and you should be able to adjust it on your dog’s neck easily. At the same time, you have to ensure that the harness is neither very tight nor very loose.
- Safety: The harness that you are buying for your dog should be safe. In terms of material, it should not comprise any harsh and rough material, and as a whole, the harness should be safe on the skin of your dog. Besides, it should not be biting on the skin of your dog and should be loose enough to enable your dog to feel comfortable while pulling the sled.
- Comfort: Last but not least, you must ensure that your dog is not uncomfortable while pulling the sled. Although certain dogs are quite crafty when it comes to pulling a sled, they still run the risk of being physically hurt. To avoid this situation, you should always buy a comfortable harness, which distributes the total weight all over your dog’s body instead of just burdening the neck.
Best Sled Dog Harness (FAQs)
The most common variant of a harness that is commonly used for dog sledding is the X-Back Harness. This kind of harness covers the entire length of the dog’s body and is padded all the way around the neck, chest, and ribs.
Despite horrible and inhuman stories about dog sledding, it has been widely observed that in most places, dogs are well-treated and are never mistreated by their owners. So, it is not cruel to use dogs for sledding. But as dog owners, we must act responsibly and remember that they are our furry pets, and they have a physical limit that they can endure. We should never apply force to make them pull the sled.
The weight carrying capacity of dogs depends upon the breed of dogs. Like the Alaskan Malamute and Husky have much ability to carry heavy loads. Recent studies reveal that, on average, a dog can carry about 75 pounds.
So, the total weight that your sled can carry depends on the number of dogs that your sled has. There is another study that indicates that a typical sled dog can carry about 1.25 times its weight.
Even if you don’t own a traditional sledding dog breed like an Alaskan Malamute or a Husky, a sled can be pulled by other dog breeds as well, as long as they learn how to pull a sled. In fact, it has been widely argued that any well-built, agile and athletic dog can learn and pull a sled. But it has been observed that your dog should be at least a medium-sized one and should at least weigh 30 pounds to be able to pull a sled.
A harness is something that your favorite pet dog is going to be tied with. So, it is important that the harness fits your dog perfectly. A perfect harness should be seated firmly on the back of your dog. Besides, while fitting the harness, ensure that it should pull all the excess skin and fur through the neck.
Once you have put the harness on your dog, please check that the harness should not be too tightly wrapped around the neck of your dog. It must not dog into your dog’s windpipe.
Forrest is a lover of dogs, the wild outdoors, deep mysterious conversations… and coffee. He is the owner of several websites, including Canine Weekly. He resides in Austin, Texas.